Isn't it great to see the West End opening back up? This week we've seen a flurry of shows extending, Matilda, Mary Poppins and Les Miserables to name just three. We also have exciting new shows opening, a number of extensions, thrilling opening nights, and a couple of hot theatreland rumours we hope will come true. Read on for this week's West End round-up, and come back next week for the reopening of some great comedies.
Goodbye to shows closing soon
The third and final part of Hilary Mantel's epic Tudor drama, The Mirror and the Light, co-written with Ben Miles, closes soon at the Gielgud Theatre. The Royal Shakespeare Company has cancelled the planned extension, giving the reason as 'covid uncertainty and risk'. The production comes to an end on 28th November.
A warm welcome to shows opening next week
The Book of Mormon opens next week, on 15th November, at the Prince of Wales theatre. You can book your tickets here to enjoy a musical written by Trey Parker and Casey Nickolaw, who created the popular TV cartoon series South Park. It's a multi-Tony and Olivier-winning comedy musical based on themes of faith and friendship, and it's great fun.
The Comedy of Errors opens next week at the Barbican, directed by Phillip Breen. The show transfers to theatreland for a limited 6 week run following a successful summer season in Stratford-upon-Avon. The play is booking from Tuesday 16th November through to Friday 31st December 2021, a hilarious Shakespeare favourite.
The Ocean at the End of the Lane opens to rave reviews
The Duke of York's Theatre is your venue for The Ocean at the End of the Lane, which has opened to brilliant reviews. Joel Horwood's adaptation of the 2013 Neil Gaiman's novel debuted at the National Theatre, and it's booking at its new home, the Duke of York's, until 14th May 2022.
Press night – Dazzling reviews for Pride and Prejudice* (*Sort Of)
This week saw Pride and Prejudice* (*Sort Of) open to rave reviews at the Criterion Theatre, billed as a unique and audacious re-telling of the Jane Austen's classic novel. The plot unfolds thanks to six servants who weave the famous tale of romance, scandal and manners. It's 1800, and it's time to party. The show is currently booking until 17th April 2022.
Exciting West End show rumours – will they come true?
The word on the streets is we're going to see two landmark productions announced before long. Let's hope the rumours are true. Will Bartlett Sher's award-winning Broadway production of My Fair Lady transfer to the West End for 2022? If so, will it make its home at the London Coliseum? We'll confirm the news for you as soon as we know more. The Handmaid's Tale ends at the venue on 14th April, the perfect kind of venue for My Fair Lady, which means the signs are looking good.
Then there's Grease The Musical, another hugely popular show. Will it land at the Dominion Theatre to delight the West End all over again? The Prince of Egypt is closing in January '22, Grease has a huge cast, and the Dominion might just be the perfect fit. We'll let you know as soon as we can.
Seven shows are extending
We have seven shows extending, having all proved their worth and been given enormous thumbs-up by audiences:
- Les Miserables at the Sondheim Theatre extends until 3rd April 2022, with group bookings available until 1st October 2022
- Mary Poppins at the Prince Edward Theatre extends until 3rd April 2022, with group bookings available until 1st October 2022
- Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella at the Gillian Lynne Theatre has extended its run to 29th May 2022
- Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre is extended until 18th December 2022
- The Life Of Pi at Wyndham's Theatre is already extending, having only just opened, proof that this show is seriously special. It has extended its run to 27th February 2022
- Get Up Stand Up – The Bob Marley Musical – has already extended its run at the Lyric Theatre, having wowed audiences and critics alike when it opened recently and broken box office records at the venue. Now it's booking until 3rd April 2022
- The Shark is Broken has extended at the Ambassadors Theatre until 13th February 2022, proof that it's just as funny and touching as critics and audiences say
2:22 – A Ghost Story transfers to the Gielgud Theatre
2:22 – A Ghost Story broke box office records at the Noel Coward Theatre. Now it's transferring to the Gielgud Theatre from 24th November 2021 to 12th February 2022 for a strictly limited run. This is probably the spookiest play in town, ideal for audiences who enjoy being terrified.
What do our experts think about Six, playing at the Vaudeville Theatre and weaving the story of Henry 8th six wives in rock concert form? This is history... but not as we know it, it's booking until 1st May 2022, and you can read our Six review here.
See you next week for another round-up of what's been happening in the West End.